- Appellation: Colline Lucchesi DOC
- Region: Tuscany
- Country: Italy
- Colour: Red
- Grape Varieties: Merlot, Sangiovese, Syrah
- Soil type: Alluvial, Chalk, Clay, Sandstone
- Vessel type: Wood - Old oak
- Low sulphite.
Notes on additives, aids & processing used:
- No temperature control.
- Total Sulphites: 34 mg/L
- This wine is fermented spontaneously.
- Other Information:Some of you might not know, but during summer 2014 it rained, rained, rained. In the vineyard, very little light made it to the leaf canopy. Conveying grapes which had reached the correct maturity has been a difficult task, but, we –almost- made it! In Valgiano, the wines made in 2014 are different compared to a “classic” vintage, less sugar, therefore less alcohol. However, wines are balanced though they are characterized by a great vivacity ( or impertinence as they said once upon a time). The latter, is conferred from the natural acidity of the wine, as a result of the subtle fermentative transformations. The acidity ( or Vivacity) is the sublimation vector of the natural minerality of “terroir” wines. It entertains a very subtle relation ship with the mineral salts ( as they contain plenty of them) , with huge variability according to their birth place. This bio chemical is called “ salification phenomenon”. Thanks to it, the mineral salts melt harmoniously in the mouth together with the natural acids present in the wines. Those acids will also (obviously !) act as aspiration effect of salinity. Hence it is the Vivacity that underlines the minerality of the wine, its salinity. The alcoholic fermentation, followed by the malolactic one undergoes subtle transformations which guarantee a noble vivacity to the wine who will chisel its consistency enhancing its texture. Vivacity makes the wine live in the mouth, it vibrates. At the same time, it enhances the aromatic freshness present in a climate or place wine, together with its style and minerality. 2014 Valgiano reds have a marked acidity, the alcohol content does not go any higher than 11,2% .
Our 40Ha farm includes 16Ha of vines as well as an olive grove, orchard, vegetable garden, wheat fields and animals (bees, pigs, chicken, guinea fowl and rabbits). All are cared for biodynamically (Demeter Certification 2002) using Alex Podolinsky’s method, which is so practical and pragmatic that nature has entered Valgiano without much struggling.
More from Tenuta di Valgiano