- Appellation: Barbera del Monferrato Superiore docg
- Region: Piedmont
- Country: Italy
- Colour: Red
- Grape Varieties: Barbera
- Soil type: Clay, Limestone
- Vessel type: Clay Pot - Amphora
- Low sulphite.
Notes on additives, aids & processing used:
- No temperature control.
- Total Sulphites: 5 mg/L
- This wine is fermented spontaneously.
- Other Information:Rataraura is a Barbera del Monferrato Superiore docg from barbera grapes hand-picked in Gaggero and Vicario vineyards – plantation year between 1970 and 2000 – with 40-60 q. per ha yield. It is vinified in terracotta amphorae, with spontaneous fermentation (native yeasts only) and extended (2-4 weeks) maceration. Aging is done for 20 months at least mostly in terracotta amphorae. In the local dialect of 19th century, Rataraura means "bat".
We are a boutique, strictly natural winery located in Carpeneto (Al), amidst the Alto Monferrato hills. Wine production is focused on Piedmont-native grapes (dolcetto, barbera, cortese, nebbiolo, albarossa, freisa). We are member of VinNatur and FIVI.
More from Rocco di Carpeneto