Coronavirus - pulling together naturally...

Battifolle, 2017

By Azienda Querciagrossa

  • Appellation: IGT Toscana rosso
  • Region: Tuscany
  • Country: Italy
  • Colour: Red
  • Grape Varieties: Sangiovese, Ciliegiolo
  • Soil type: Granite, Sandstone, Schist
  • Vessel type: Wood - Old oak, Cement - Other
  • Unfined.
  • Filtered - Becopad 1,0-2,0 microns.
  • Low sulphite.

Notes on additives, aids & processing used:

  • No temperature control.
  • Total Sulphites: 32 mg/L
  • This wine is fermented spontaneously.
  • Other Information: 2 0 1 7 Battifolle T Y P E IGT Red Tuscan G R A P E V A R I E T I E S sangiovese 70 % ciliegiolo 30% H A R V E S T grapes are hand-harvested in the first half of October and put into small 18 kg crates; after picking they are immediately taken to the winery for processing. V I T. P R A C T I C E S cordon-trained/spur-pruned, organic-mineral fertilisers. Copper and sulphur spraying, manual and mechanical weeding. V I N I F I C A T I O N Immediately after harvesting, the grapes are de-stemmed and left to macerate on a layer of grape skins in small concrete tanks for periods of up to 40 days. Fermentation is started off with the aid of indigenous ‘wild’ yeasts and during this stage the grapes are pressed manually twice a day (natural ambient temperature). Once maceration is completed, the wine in each tank is ‘racked’ or drawn off separately, the grape-skins are pressed and the wine is allowed to rest for two/three nights in stainless steel tanks before being transferred subsequently to the second/third-use barriques, where malolactic fermentation takes place and where it will be left to age for 12 months. It should be stressed that throughout the entire vinification process constant attention is paid to maintaining low levels of sulphites and that the natural properties of the grapes are fully respected both in the winery and the vineyard. A G E I N G 70% in cement for 12 months, the remaining 30% 12 months in French oak tonneaux, then 6 months in the bottle S E N S O R Y P R O F I L E Intense ruby red colour with elegant purple highlights. Notes of blackberries, vanilla and violets on the nose. Correctly tannic, well-balanced and soft on the palate. A L C O H O L C O N T E N T 13.5 % T Y P E O F B O T T L E classic Bordeaux bottle F O O D P A I R I N G S pasta, red meat and mature cheeses. Serve at 18 c° O U R P H I L O S O P H Y Recovery agricolture with respect for the environment

About Azienda Querciagrossa

Tuscany, Italy

Querciagrossa is a small artisanal winery. Born from my passion for my land and my work. I love and respect the nature of which the magic of the vineyard is part of it.