- Appellation: Vin de Table
- Region: Arribas do Douro (Trás-os-Montes)
- Country: Portugal
- Colour: Red
- Grape Varieties: Traditional Varieties from Arribas do Douro
- Soil type: Clay, Granite, Quartz, Schist
- Vessel type: Wood - Old oak, Stainless Steel
- Low sulphite.
Notes on additives, aids & processing used:
- No temperature control.
- Total Sulphites: 24 mg/L
- This wine is fermented spontaneously.
- Other Information:The 2019 growing season was a very good one as, apart from one big hail storm, it was very balanced and regular. The grapes used to make Saroto NatCool Red 2019 were hand harvested into 20 kg cases over the last week of August. They were foot trodden in a traditional lagar and macerated for 2 days allowing the juice to start fermenting naturally with indigenous yeast and without temperature control (wild fermentation).
After this period, the grapes were pressed and racked into used French Oak Barrels (30%) and the rest to a stainless steel tank (70%) where alcoholic and malolactic fermentations were finished. The wine aged for 9 months on these barrels on fine lees.
This wine is unfined and unfiltered and may present deposit over time.
Arribas do Douro (Trás-os-Montes), Portugal
The Arribas Wine Company project began in 2017, when Frederico Machado and Ricardo Alves decided after many nacional and international experiences that the time to start a more personal project had arrived, thus reflecting their own philosophy and winemaking style. The quest for diversity and a spot with unique characteristics took them to Bemposta, a small village from Mogadouro, where the grandparents of one of the founders were born. There they found very old vineyards, some of them recently abandoned due to the owners old age. It´s from the regeneration of their first plot, less than 2 ha, that their first wine Saroto was made. If Saroto is the local term to designate an animal with its tail cut off, the lizard pretends to simbolize the capacity of regeneration thus representing the will to recover and preserve such a rich and diverse heritage that otherwise would be lost.
Tinta Gorda, Malvasia, Bastardo, Verdelho, Rufete, Bastardo Branco, Verdelho Vermelho, Tinta Serrana amoung other varieties and some yet to be identified, altitude, a wide variation of soils and exposures, traditional and sustainable viticulture and minimal intervention winemaking are the conducting wires of this project which aims at elevating the full potential of Arribas do Douro and its vineyards.
The full potential of Arribas do Douro is yet to be unlocked and they keep exploring different vineyards and sites in order to fulfill their desire to fully understand the limits…
More from Arribas Wine Company