- Appellation: COLCHAGUA VALLEY
- Region: Colchagua Valley
- Country: Chile
- Colour: Red
- Grape Varieties: Carignan
- Soil type: Clay, QUARTZ
- Vessel type: Wood - Old oak
Notes on additives, aids & processing used:
- No temperature control.
- Total Sulphites: 63 mg/L
- This wine is fermented spontaneously.
- Other Information:Dry farmed vineyard in wild condition. Human scale wine. 100% manual harvest. Spontaneous fermentation with native yeasts. Spontaneous malolactic during spring. Not pressed. Not stabilized. Unfiltered wine. This 70-year-old, non-industrial, organic vineyard continues to be in its wild state, without any pruning, irrigation or the use of chemical products such as pesticides or herbicides. Te vineyard’s distinguishing feature is its untouched wilderness where for over the last 50 years Carignan vines have grown side-by-side native vegetation. This vineyard is quite bio diverse, hosting a wide variety of native fora and fauna, including culen, maiten, quillay, hawthorn and rosehip, among others. The vineyard’s unique surroundings are instrumental in keeping the vines pest- and disease free. Natural decantation by gravity.
Colchagua Valley, Chile
Wild vineyard in Colchagua Valley, Chile, which never been treated in a traditional way, however they have evolved rather wild and free, without being subjected even to the size or the use of chemicals. During the last sixty years the vine has grown among the original flora of this terroir composed of native trees such as maitenes, culenes, hawthorns and mulberry trees, among others.
Our philosophy is based on the unconditional respect of the environment and especially of the soil where our grapes are produced. For that, the steps of handling of the vine are carried out with the help of the horses as well as traditional tools which make it possible to regulate the vegetation. The harvest is done by hand, in the middle of brambles, wild roses and maitenes, difficult and laborious task because of the specific situation of these vines.
More from Villalobos Wine