- Appellation: Dão
- Region: Dão
- Country: Portugal
- Colour: Orange
- Grape Varieties: Malvasia
- Soil type: Clay, Granite, Shale
- Vessel type: Wood - Old oak
- Low sulphite.
Notes on additives, aids & processing used:
- No temperature control.
- Total Sulphites: 16 mg/L
- This wine is fermented spontaneously.
- Other Information:Age under primary lees, directy hand bottled from barrels. Arround our vineyards we have clay shale and granit whic provide the acidity and minerality of the soils; this clay shale is very old from marine sediments of 500 million years ago and granit is from the compressions during hercynian orogeny (mountain building event), 300 million years ago... This rocks don't irradiate much heat during the night. Our climate is continental, with great thermal amplitude, and not very constant, so each vintage is different. We control temperature just with cold source water to avoid fermentation temperature don't reach more than 23ºC.
JOÃO TAVARES DE PINA is located at Dao, 500m, granitic and clay shale soil. Cover crop with autochthonous chamomile, Lavandula in the top of lines, promoting natural fight avoiding the chemicals. Recovering lost grape varieties, manual harvest, low yield and blending in vines for spontaneous coo fermentations, low sulphur and no more chemicals in cellar.
More from Quinta da Boavista