- Appellation: Mendocino County
- Region: California
- Country: United States
- Colour: Red
- Grape Varieties: Carignan
- Soil type: Clay
- Vessel type: Wood - Old oak, Stainless Steel
- No added sulphites.
Notes on additives, aids & processing used:
- No temperature control.
- Total Sulphites: 1 mg/L
- This wine is fermented spontaneously.
- Other Information:Grape: 100% Carignane Vineyard: Poor Ranch (certified organic, dry farmed). The Poors established a homestead on this rugged land in 1888. They currently tend to 1,000+ acres and about 125 of those are dedicated to wine grapes. Truly a family business, Susan, John, and John Jr. work the massive, steep-sloped property without outside help, aided only by a small amount of livestock. Overlooking the town of Hopland, it’s one of the most picturesque, expressive sites we’ve ever seen. AVA: Mendocino County, high in the Hopland hills. VINES: We source our Carignane from a block called “The Hub,” which was planted in the 60s. Vines are spaced 9x9 or 9x11 in either diamonds or squares to allow them to disc in either direction. The Poors implore a very hands off approach - no irrigation, no sprinkler system, no fans for frost protection. Vines are head pruned with no wires or trellises. METHOD: We opted for a 50/50 mix of whole cluster and destemmed fruit. Daily pumpovers were kept short during fermentation, and the occasional pigeage was employed. The juice was then pressed, settled, and racked to neutral barrels for 5 months of elevage. Unfined, unfiltered, zero sulfur. ABV: 12.8% Case Production: 200
California, United States
Subject to Change is a labor of love. We have a small but growing team based out of northern California. All of our wines are spontaneously fermented and made with no additions or subtractions in the cellar. We make wines with strong character, just like the people with whom we like to enjoy them.
More from Subject To Change Wine Company