- Region: Catalonia
- Country: Spain
- Colour: Red
- Grape Varieties: Bastard Negre
- Soil type: calcareous soil, with clay - loam texture
- Vessel type: Clay Pot - Tinaja, Wood - Old oak
- No added sulphites.
Notes on additives, aids & processing used:
- Total Sulphites: 10 mg/L
- This wine is fermented spontaneously.
- Other Information:VINIFICATION Manual harvest on September 12 in 15 kg boxes. Selection of grapes in the vineyard. Once harvested we destem and crush lightly. Spontaneous fermentation with indigenous yeasts from the vineyard in 5 open casks of 225 L in the garage of the Mas. Fermentation begins on 13/9 and ends on 13/10, the day we de-vat without pressing. During fermentation we do a little pigeage (punching down) to wet the cap without extracting too much tannin. We control the fermentation tem- perature by taking the wine out into the sun to heat up when necessary. After racking, we lled three casks and allow the malolactic fermen- tation to take place in a room at 20°C. Once this has been done, we place the casks in a cool place and leave them to age where the wine is stabilized for 6 months. We bottled on May 5. We do not use any oenological additives at any time in the process. ABV 11.96% vol. Total acidity 6.9 g/L expressed in tartaric acid pH 3.38 Residual sugars 0.20 g/L Volatile acidity 0.69 g/L Malic acid < 0.1 g/L Total sulfur dioxide 10 mg/L
In keeping with his passion for constant innovation, some years ago Pepe began to experiment with making the purest wines in the garage of his home. The willingness to show his wines as they are, encouraged him to make wine without additives as a way of working and understanding life.
More from Mas del Serral de Pepe Raventos