- Appellation: Mendocino County
- Region: California
- Country: United States
- Colour: Red
- Grape Varieties: Syrah, Grenache, Muscat Blanc à Petits Grains, Mourvèdre, Viognier, Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel
- Soil type: Volcanic
- Vessel type: Wood - Old oak, Stainless Steel
- No added sulphites.
Notes on additives, aids & processing used:
- No temperature control.
- Total Sulphites: 1 mg/L
- This wine is fermented spontaneously.
- Other Information:A crushable, aromatic, co-ferment of some of our favorite red & white grapes. You can call it a light red. You can call it a dark rosé. Either way, throw a chill on it! Grapes: Syrah, Grenache, Muscat, Mourvédre, Zinfandel, Viognier, Cabernet Sauvignon Vineyard: Sunhawk Farms. 8 acres of grapes, 3 acres of olives on a 280 acre property that's Demeter certified and planted on steep terrain with volcanic/serpentine soils. John Schaeffer and his wife Nantzy have lived on this biodynamic homestead since 2001 and are fully committed to developing and maintaining a self-sustaining, healthy ecosystem. AVA: Mendocino County Vines: By far the most labyrinthine vineyard that we work with, SunHawk features primarily Rhône varietals spread across 4 winding, hilly blocks. It’s a challenging place to pick due to the quirky way the rows are planted, but it makes for some exciting sampling days! The soil and the vines are treated with a blend of herbs, minerals, and manure all sourced from the property. Disease and insect control are regulated by botanical biodiversity. Method: Being that so many grapes go into this blend, we picked on two separate dates to allow even ripening. Almost everything was picked around 20 Brix. For the first pick, we foot tread whole clusters and left them on the skins for 48 hours before pressing, settling, and moving into stainless for fermentation. After the second pick, we foot tread the whole clusters and left them on the skins for 72 hours before pressing. The juice was then settled before moving into neutral barrels for 5 months élevage. The two lots were racked once for blending before bottling. Unfined, unfiltered, zero sulfur. ABV: 11.8% Case Production: 472
California, United States
Subject to Change is a labor of love. We have a small but growing team based out of northern California. All of our wines are spontaneously fermented and made with no additions or subtractions in the cellar. We make wines with strong character, just like the people with whom we like to enjoy them.
More from Subject To Change Wine Company