About Vina Čotar
Our family’s farm and vineyards, cellar, and house are located in the western portion of the Karst, in the village of Gorjansko, only about 5 km distant from the sea. Despite a family tradition, the present-day farm was created out of nothing. More than 30 years ago, more specifically in 1974, we produced the first wine for our own restaurant. Teran and Karst table white. Later on we decided that we had too much of each. We continued catering, but to groups by reservation only, and devoted ourselves exclusively to the production of wine. We bottled wine for the first time in 1990 (vintage 1988). Wine-making and cellarage today are passing into the hands of the next generation; the wine is still produced using the same methods as our ancestors.
- Certified Organic by Inštitut Kon-cert
- Certified Organic by Maribor
This grower-maker grows all their own grapes.
- Size of their farm: 7.5 (ha)
- Size of farm under vine: 7.5 (ha)
- All grapes are dry-farmed. None of this grower’s vineyards are irrigated.
- All grapes are harvested manually.
- Average production of wine: 3500 to 4000 kg/ha (btl)